Saturday, October 4, 2008

Money doesn't grow on trees

I've heard that phrase from my mom 100x. Money doesn't grow on trees, you think money grows from trees, money doesn't just fall of trees...etc. You get the point. So many variations, and I've heard them all.

I'm starting to understand exactly what that means. I knew having a baby was going to be expensive, and I'm definitely starting to feel the pinch esp the past few weekends because we made our first big purchases for Lila.

We bought a moses basket/bassinet in one for Lila's first "bed" before she transitions to the crib. I can roll the bassinet from one place to another, and it fits right next to my side of the bed...BARELY! Whew!



Wish I could have taken a pic with the bedding, but my sis reminded me that I have to wash it in "special" baby detergent versus Tide...something else I'll need to buy.

We also bought a Dutailier glider. Why are gliders so expensive? I was so disappointed because I had a 20% coupon for Babies R Us, and I was going to use it to buy my glider, but the sales clerk told me it would take 4-6 months for the chair to be made!!! What??? It's just a chair...no? We left without making the purchase and good thing we did because we bought one for $300 off the normal price at Baby Town in Reseda.

The crib and the dresser will be handed down from my sis among other things she has vacuumed sealed in bags for me. Couldn't be more grateful. I'm sure Samantha will recognize a lot of things that her cousin will be wearing :-)

7 comments:

skinnyfat said...

omg. 57 days to go according to your baby calendar! too bad money doesn't grow on trees... now you must save for a college tuition and a future wedding! good thing you & W-shiggy gave up drinking and clubbing. that'll save you a good amount of chunk change each year... right? ha ha.

sillie smile said...

this is the cheap part of having a baby too, sadly. it just gets more and more expensive as they get older! hopefully lila will have no allergies, therefore, no dr visits and no crazy formula to buy :)

enjoy the getting ready part :)

jyang said...

yes, babies are super expensive but i guess it also depends on how far the mother wants to go w/ things. hehe. i had to wait forever for my dutalier from babiesrus too but soo worth it. lucky that you got a big sis to help w/ those costs!

BanglePark said...

She's your first so naturally, she gets all these nice things. The good thing is, your next baby won't cost you too much, hopefully. that's how I'm the ghettest of the 3 sisters...so sad. i'm gonna make my firstborn sleep on the floor and my last baby will get the type of cribs Shiloh's/Suri's get. hahaha.

jangmi said...

i love that bassinet!!! i'm taking thurs. off to go shopping with my mom...i hope i dont break the piggy bank. =) sounds like, everything is coming together...lila is going to LOVE coming home to all her wonderful things!

I Heart Mandu said...

The bassinet is gorgeous. I love it! Can't wait for your shower in 2 days.

Unknown said...

ahh i missed a lot of posts! it must be so much fun to look at cute baby clothes and stuff! not cheap, of course...

see you in a few days!