Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Baby Class Part I

I was hesitant about signing up for baby classes because I heard that certain ones are a waste of time, but I ended up signing for a five week course on Childbirth Preparation, Breastfeeding, and Newborn Care. I figured it all depends on the person, and I think for my peace of mind, I wanted to make sure I had no regrets.

My first class was yesterday evening, and I’m SO happy to have signed up for this class because Won and I have already learned so much. Our labor coach is such a sweet lady, and she told us that she had all seven of her children without “intervention” aka the epidural shot! She wanted the mothers to keep an open mind about this, but she said ultimately it’s our decision and the nurses at the Woman’s Pavilion would listen to what we wanted. Hmmm…it got me thinking. I never thought about having the baby natural because I have a low tolerance for pain, but now I’m questioning if maybe I can do this without pain meds. Crazy, I know. But I’ve already talked to several ladies at work who have done it the Bradley method (au natural), and they said it was painful but worth it. Is that just talk?

I have to say the best part about our class was that I got a twenty minute massage from Won! Woohoo! All the fathers had to do this touch exercise to help relax the mamas. It sure worked! We’re supposed to do this for the next five weeks, so that when I am in labor, he’ll remember to do this exercise to calm me down. I have a feeling that when it comes time for that, both of us won’t remember what to do!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys had the same teacher we did and we liked her too although I think that "touch technique" (aka free massage) is a sham. Don't believe the hype W! I'm pretty sure it's not gonna work during labor. The class was a bit touchy feely but good. I think J had some initial thoughts about au naturale but lasted all of 20 minutes.

jangmi said...

dude, if you do it au natural...i will give you mad props!! =) can't wait to hear about the rest of your classes. learn a lot so you can teach me!

skinnyfat said...

hi rat mama. that sounds gross, but you know what i mean. i can't wait until that baby of yours comes out!! i want to see her already. :-) hope you get as many massages out of your pregnancy as you can!

jyang said...

i'm soo glad you took the class (even though hubs didn't think we needed it) because that was a serious eye-opener and we learned a lot in our birthing classes. did they also teach you infant cpr, etc? i think it was one of the more important classes we took and even hubs agreed that it was totally worth it and needed! i tried to go au natural and actually went for 15 hrs or so (my labor was 20 hrs) and decided i needed it. i actually think i could have done w/ out the epidural if i didn't get induced. honestly...even though it was painful oddly i'm glad i went through the whole labor pain just so i know what it's like and i can sympthize w/ other women! fyi..no drugs = pain for hubby too. since they have to help coach you they don't get any rest or sleep too. hehe.